i travel not to go anywhere, but to go. i travel for travel's sake.

the great affair is to move.

Monday, February 21, 2011

antigua...a new (old) town.

wow, so here I am realizing that I haven’t written in weeks. It feels like I am in a completely different world.

Before you question that, yes I know I am in Guatemala. But as of two weeks ago, I am living in a different town that is a whole new experience from my life in Magdalena. The Sunday before we started school, my compes (our term for roomie) and I moved into a large home in Antigua. What a beautiful place, but I will give more details a little later. The housing situation is a little different here, because having students is more like a business in this touristy town. In fact, there were a total of 9 students living in my house. Not only am I living in a completely different culture, but I am being exposed to cultures all around the world. OK, so here’s the dirt on my fellow housemates:
1.      Genevieve- 30s, Canada
2.      Johannes- 60/70s, Holland
3.      Jimmy- 30s, South Korea
4.      Sonya- 26, South Korea
5.      Emilio- 30s, Turkey
6.      David- 30s, England
7.      me
8.      Sydney (roomie from Bethel)
9.      Becky (program coordinator)

However, since moving in we have lost numbers 1 &5, who were replaced by two Denmarkians (julia & benjamin). Needless to say it is always an eclectic group at the dinner table and gets quite entertaining with the varying languages and lack of Spanish abilities.

I miss my family in Magdalena very much. Since Mario and Ingrid work with SI, I luckily got to see them once in passing while they were in town for a meeting. It was wonderful to see them again, even though it reminded me of the family I was missing. It just makes me excited for when I am done with school and move back to Magdalena for the last 3 weeks of my time here.

Now for school. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I was blessed with this super cute little Guatemalan teacher named Guillermo. If you want an accurate mental image, picture Robin Williams, except short and extremely tan. Guillermo is hilarious and knows everything about everything. No joke. We talk politics, history, current issues, life….and I am learning! It is probably the best way to learn by far. I have school four hours a day 8-12. The time flies, and while I don’t enjoy the homework associated with the class, I do enjoy the actual learning/school aspect. Our teachers basically have free reign to take us on “field trips” to the market or places they think would be educational. Also, Guillermo really enjoys coffee, so we get two coffee breaks throughout the day. I may have a problem come summer, I used to only enjoy the smell of coffee, or coffee with ½ creamer and ½ sugar…..i am now a 3 cup/day girl. Haha oh well, at least the coffee here is better for you than in the states.

On Monday, Dr. Zalanga (a professor from Bethel) is starting an intense week of classes for us because he is in the country to give us our lectures. I am not as excited for this…but I guess what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.


Antigua is a beautiful place. Basically it is a 10x10 square block of streets…which unfortunately makes every street look the same. (quite unfortunate for those less directionally inclined…but I am managing.) It is situated in a valley, surrounded by 3 volcanoes which makes for an absolute beautiful view no matter which direction you are walking. Yes, one of the volcanoes is active. I only know this because I was walking home for supper and saw one erupting. I guess you can only get that kind of view while abroad. The city is so vibrant with color, the buildings come in every variety, and the market is quite a splendor for your eyes to take in.

I am trying to build some friendships at the market, which has been quite fun when bartering with the merchants, however….it is hard to know that most are trying to scam you. While I want to believe the best in people, I am beginning to develop a discerning eye. It is fun to get to know the people and talk to them….i hope to develop some lasting friendships while here.

Since being in Antigua, we have gone on one excursion….but I will have to write about that at a later time since I have written so much already, and I have some economics to read (I guess if we’re being honest, I am going to skim it.)

Alrighty….ta ta for now. Besos for everyone.
I do miss you.

Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment